High Gear! High Gear!

Uhhhh that beat x). A well executed track on your part!

No sleep for dead sheep No sleep for dead sheep

No sleep? This song is very relaxing and chill at first, it makes me feel like I could sleep! (not in a bad way :P). Diggin the track yo

blackmage312 responds:

No sleep. I had been up for a while, I had gone to work and before that I hadn't slept. I overnight for 8 hours then come home around 9 or 10, stayed up even more after that and thought, I should make a song. and bam. this one.

Y0 d0n+ kn0w m3 wip Y0 d0n+ kn0w m3 wip

Eerie, but catchy at the same time. I like it! The buildup in the background kinda drowns out the track at times and is rough on headphone users, but otherwise it is great even for a WIP. I'm hoping you add on to it in the future ;)

Genraltweet responds:

Thanks for the review! :3

Superscalar Superscalar

I'd say this is fine under chipstep. This song is very interesting to me, as it sounds like a dance song with strong chiptune/dubstep elements overlaying it. Definitely unique, and pleasing to the ear. Also, thumbs up for it's lasting memorability.

As far as mixing concerns go, I'd recommend mixing to bring out a stronger bass. I'd love to help more on mixing, especially since this is a sick track, but I seem to be stuck in the same rut as you mate!

Any who, this is an awesome piece you have constructed here, and I am glad to have had the opportunity to have a listen! Can't wait to hear more from you!

conorstrejcek responds:

Thanks! It definitely does sound more dance/pop like than what I usually make.

Part of the bass issue is caused by the stereo widening I did - there is some phasing cancellation in the lower frequencies. It's a trial and error thing, and I'll probably work on editing it some more to help with the clarity in that register.

atomsmasha - lsdj jam #2 atomsmasha - lsdj jam #2

Mmmm, much better flow in this one. Sounds like an old Mario game track on mushrooms (haha its funny because... mushrooms... yeeeeah...). I don't know much about LSDJ (other than what I learned from the chiptune-rock band I Fight Dragons), but I think you should try to add a stronger melody that sticks out to give this track some more spice. As you said, its definitely more on the tough side (and I know what you mean) which I also noticed in your other LSDJ track, and the drums are brilliant for a hard stompin 8-bit song like this.

atomsmasha - lsdj jam #1 atomsmasha - lsdj jam #1

The flow/direction of this track is so out of whack xD. It's hard for me to process what's going on at times, with some of the random bleeps and bloops. Really diggin the breaks at 1:09 and 2:05, and the progression at 1:58 (which I believe you should've delved into more, as it breaks soon after). Overall a good piece of chiptune, just work on your implementation and timing ;)
~Now, off to your next piece!

Saturday Morning Chiptune Saturday Morning Chiptune

Really like the overall upbeat and happy feeling this track gives, kind of reminds me a lot of a song I made a few months ago (especially considering we both use a non-traditional chiptune beat), but although it's just a simple chiptune composition I felt quite engaged with the song. I only wish it was longer! Good job on your audio, you should try your hand at some more chiptune, maybe next time add more layers to your track (implementing a strong bass can do wonders). Can't wait to hear more from you!

conorstrejcek responds:

Hey, thanks for the review!

I may end up extending this song, but I just started working on a new one which will implement some dubstep elements as well. I may upload a WIP version to get some feedback, and if I do, I'd love to hear what you think. (It will have much more bass, haha)

Robotic Toothpaste Robotic Toothpaste

So this is what you hear when you smoke crack out of a NES cartridge... Oh baby I'm really gettin' down to this funky track of yours! I really like the direction you've taken the chipstep genre too, not just in this song but in all of your pieces you've been putting out. Keep up the good work man.

wandschrank responds:

Smoking crack out of a NES cartridge seems like a very bad idea to me.. ;D
Producing bassy chiptunes is really interesting.. and it's very challenging to use old soundchips (or emulations of them) for creating dubstep-like sounds without all the fancy effects and modulations modern synths offer.
Thanks for your review, I'll surely release more tracks in the next months!

Biological Happening Biological Happening

What is this sorcery, this Black Magic Chipstep you present before us?

AliceMako responds:

It's reffered to as slow breakcore/idm in north America and called darkchip in western europe.

Chaos Chaos

Damn your description of the song really makes me feel immersed when listening to this funky track. Chaos on Board! Abandon All Ships! Take One Last Breath!!! This needs to be in some retro throwback game. This track I think is a great showmanship of the chipstep genre as well.

Pitfall responds:

Thanks! I appreciate that! :D

Yeah, with the theme, those things you described were basically what I pictured as I made this song ;)

Thanks for the review!